How Often Does Your Car Need A Tune Up?
Your car needs regular oil changes, how often do you need a tune-up? For older vehicles, you’ll likely need to seek a tune-up every 30,000-45,000 miles, whereas newer cars do not need the same type and level of service thanks to the inclusion of computers as the main component of your vehicle’s function. Learn more about what goes into tune-ups with Western Motors Fresno, and then schedule a service appointment to get your vehicle’s service needs taken care of today in Fresno!
What’s Included in a Modern Tune-Up?
What’s included in a tune-up depends on the age of your vehicle. A tune-up for newer vehicles can include services like:
- Oil changes as needed
- Engine air filter replacement
- Spark plugs
- Battery Checks
- And more
What’s Included in Tune-Ups for Older or High-Mileage Models?
- Gas Filter- Thanks to improved technology and fuel performance, the replacement of fuel filters in most modern cars is not needed. Your owner’s manual will let you know if your vehicle has one and when it needs to be replaced.
- Throttle Body- Often in high-mileage vehicles, the throttle body may become dirty, with carbon deposits preventing the throttle valve from functioning properly. This issue could lead to a rough idle, stalling, and your “Check Engine” light could come on as a result.
- Timing Belt- If your car has a timing belt, it will also often be replaced during a major tune-up every 40,000 to 70,000 miles.
- Fuel Induction Service- For high mileage vehicles, a mechanic sprays a special cleaning solution or foam into the intake manifold to clean the carbon deposits on the intake valves and pistons, which may cause problems in high-mileage direct fuel injection engines.
- Replace Your Oxygen Sensor- If your car has low gas mileage, your mechanic may suggest replacing the front oxygen sensor.
How Often Should You Replace Spark Plugs?
How often should you replace spark plugs as part of your maintenance routine? It depends on the type of spark plugs your vehicle uses. There are two types of spark plugs- traditional and long-lasting (platinum or iridium tip) that have to be replaced at the following intervals:
- Conventional spark plugs must be replaced every 30,000-50,000 miles.
- Iridium-or platinum-tipped spark plugs can last 50,000-120,000 miles.
What are the Warning Signs That You Need a Tune-Up?
Not sure if your vehicle is due for a tune-up? Below are some signs it’s time to schedule an appointment at the Western Motors Fresno service center:
- Running rough, especially when started
- Occasional misfiring, especially in humid conditions
- Rough unstable idle, stalling
- Lack of power
- Poor gas mileage
Learn More About Vehicle Maintenance Today!
More from Western Motors Fresno
The Chevy Silverado never loses its performance prowess no matter how old it is. That’s why many of our Madera customers love purchasing used Chevy Silverado vehicles. Performance specs like the Chevy Silverado 1500 towing capacity stay consistent across all models, even the ones that are a few years old. You’ll notice their performance capabilities…
Tips To Returning a Leased Car Early? For many, leasing a car is an enticing idea. Besides, who wouldn’t want to drive a brand new car for a low monthly fee that can quickly be traded in within two to three years— before the vehicle ever breaks out of warranty? Yeah, you’ve signed up for…
Searching for a used pickup truck for sale? Yeah, you’re possibly thinking what trucks to consider and many people do not know that three of America’s top five best-selling cars happen to be pickup trucks. GMC’s Sierra and Chevrolet’s Silverado, respectively, are on the top of the list for first and second place and have…