How Often Does Your Car Need A Tune Up?
Your car needs regular oil changes, how often do you need a tune-up? For older vehicles, you’ll likely need to seek a tune-up every 30,000-45,000 miles, whereas newer cars do not need the same type and level of service thanks to the inclusion of computers as the main component of your vehicle’s function. Learn more about what goes into tune-ups with Western Motors Fresno, and then schedule a service appointment to get your vehicle’s service needs taken care of today in Fresno!
What’s Included in a Modern Tune-Up?
What’s included in a tune-up depends on the age of your vehicle. A tune-up for newer vehicles can include services like:
- Oil changes as needed
- Engine air filter replacement
- Spark plugs
- Battery Checks
- And more
What’s Included in Tune-Ups for Older or High-Mileage Models?
- Gas Filter- Thanks to improved technology and fuel performance, the replacement of fuel filters in most modern cars is not needed. Your owner’s manual will let you know if your vehicle has one and when it needs to be replaced.
- Throttle Body- Often in high-mileage vehicles, the throttle body may become dirty, with carbon deposits preventing the throttle valve from functioning properly. This issue could lead to a rough idle, stalling, and your “Check Engine” light could come on as a result.
- Timing Belt- If your car has a timing belt, it will also often be replaced during a major tune-up every 40,000 to 70,000 miles.
- Fuel Induction Service- For high mileage vehicles, a mechanic sprays a special cleaning solution or foam into the intake manifold to clean the carbon deposits on the intake valves and pistons, which may cause problems in high-mileage direct fuel injection engines.
- Replace Your Oxygen Sensor- If your car has low gas mileage, your mechanic may suggest replacing the front oxygen sensor.
How Often Should You Replace Spark Plugs?
How often should you replace spark plugs as part of your maintenance routine? It depends on the type of spark plugs your vehicle uses. There are two types of spark plugs- traditional and long-lasting (platinum or iridium tip) that have to be replaced at the following intervals:
- Conventional spark plugs must be replaced every 30,000-50,000 miles.
- Iridium-or platinum-tipped spark plugs can last 50,000-120,000 miles.
What are the Warning Signs That You Need a Tune-Up?
Not sure if your vehicle is due for a tune-up? Below are some signs it’s time to schedule an appointment at the Western Motors Fresno service center:
- Running rough, especially when started
- Occasional misfiring, especially in humid conditions
- Rough unstable idle, stalling
- Lack of power
- Poor gas mileage
Learn More About Vehicle Maintenance Today!
More from Western Motors Fresno
Western Motors Fresno drivers know they can count on the famous Honda gas mileage for an economical commute. Those exceptional Honda mpg ratings look even more appealing as gas prices continue to rise. We list some examples of specific models below, like Honda Civic mpg estimates and Honda Accord mpg estimates. Auto ResearchHonda Inventory Honda Civic…
You might not typically associate sports cars with fuel efficiency, but that’s not the case these days! Plenty of sports cars from just about every popular automaker – from Porsche to Lexus to Toyota – enjoy excellent MPG ratings alongside impressive performance and agile handling. If you’re interested in learning about the best sports cars’…
Toyota vehicles have a lot to recommend them, from impressive performance specs to excellent reliability ratings! But what really sets these vehicles apart are their MPG ratings, especially for the wide range of hybrid and fully-electric models. When you buy a Toyota from Western Motors Fresno, you’ll enjoy a smooth, fuel-efficient ride around Visalia and Clovis, no…